Friday, January 3, 2014

Fall For Autumn



Pattern Location:  Australian Patchwork and Quilting Annual 2004 and Vol 12 No 6

Size:  70 x 70

Date:  November 2007 - December 2013

Inspiration:   As a new quilter, I saw this pattern and fell in love.

Special Fabrics:  Grandma gave me a box of scraps.  Many of these made it into this quilt.  I collected fall colours for a long time.  Aunt Sandie found the perfect backing.

Lessons Learned:  
*  Buy quality fabric.  Loose weave is the pits
*  Cut carefully
*  Use heat 'in bond for applique
*  Cut away extra layers when sewing triangles into corners.  The extra layers are really hard to quilt through.
*  Watch beginnings and ends of seams - I have a tendencey to flare out.

Thoughts:  
This turned into a Christmas gift for my parents-in-law.

The original medallion was out by over half an inch - I unsewed it and made it into a wall hanging.

This quilt was machine quilted.  Some was with a walking foot, the rest was using Leah Day's techniques.

5 comments:

  1. I saved the issue for just that quilt - it's gorgeous. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm so excited that I finished it!!

      Delete
  2. This is a really beautiful quilt. Very striking. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt! Congratulations for taking on that challenge as a new quilter. You've done a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I had no idea what I was getting myself into :) Sure glad I perservered!

      Delete