Saturday, December 27, 2014

In the Calm

a.k.a. "They Say Taupe is Very Soothing"


Size:  92" Square (approximately)



Reason:  I drew my sister Cheryl's name in the Christmas draw.  I've known for years that she has wanted a cream coloured low contrast / low volume quilt.


Fabrics / Best Buys:  For once I dipped into my stash.  Usually I quilt with scraps, but obviously that wasn't going to work for this quilt.  Half to three quarters was out of my own stock, the rest I went out for in two trips.  In an unrelated note, I'm short on creams in my stash.  Must go shopping.

I also completely used up the last of the 10 yards of white I bought last year.  I couldn't have cut another 1.5" strip if the quilt depended on it.

Thoughts:  My husband came up with the a.k.a. - it's from the Oceans 11 remake.  

I really enjoyed this pattern it was super easy to put together.  The whole quilt was finished in three weeks.

Pinning this quilt was an absolute must to make sure that all sashing lines lined up.  Mine didn't in a couple places, but overall I am pleased.

The binding is made from random leftover strips.  I love it.

Lessons Learned / Lessons to Learn:  I quilted this with my walking foot.  Even though I thought I sandwiched it very well, I still got some puckers were perpendicular seams met.  This frustrates me and I wish I knew what I was doing incorrectly.  Perhaps I need to find a walking foot quilting course.  Is it possible to use a walking foot incorrectly??

2 comments:

  1. Loveit, I think I really like that pattern !!! What is it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy - the quilt is loosely based on this pattern: http://ladyharvatine.bigcartel.com/product/mosaic-lap-quilt

      Delete