Thursday, May 31, 2012

Small Blessings


Pattern:  Australian Patchwork & Quilting Volume 10 #2

Date:  2007

Inspiration / Reason:  When I saw this pattern in 2005, I instantly thought of a good friend and decided to make it for their next baby.  It was done (mostly) in time for their son who arrived late in 2008.

Special Fabrics / Best Buys:  I won some of the fabric at a quilt show.  I also won a gift certificate to a quilt shop.  That took care of the back.  When a friend found out I was doing this quilt, she gave me all her scraps from when she made the same quilt!  I also received $30 in gift certificates when I participated in a clothing drive.  That helped quite a bit.

Lessons Learned:  As this was my first quilt,  everything was a lesson.  Little Bits of Comfort taught me everything I needed to know as I needed to know it.  

Everything can feel right in theory, but be wrong when it goes together.  Several colours meant for the quilt did not fit once the rest was cut.  last minute adjustments were necessary which meant I have "orphan blocks"  - pieces cut but not used.  I think I should keep a record of these pieces so they are not forgotten.

Thoughts:  I could also add to lessons learned:  friendship.  I had great help all along the way.  Some people for fabric, LBCQ for instruction.  Another friend loaned me her sewing machine for the whole summer.  I borrowed a lot of supplies from another friend for the duration of the quilt.  I think that God's hand has been in this quilt.  Too many things happened for it not to be:  Free and gifted fabric, coupons and other things just all add up to divine influence.  I just wonder:  why?

No comments:

Post a Comment